आहत

It is a sincere attempt to serve the society as a designer. Awareness............ HIV.......AIDS..........

Saturday, March 04, 2006


DATA COLLECTION :

Before I thought I knew a lot about the issue but when I started exploring I found plenty of new information. But when it comes as personal responsibility I feel I need some human touch rather than just dry paragraphs and paragraphs of information. Hence I decided to meet actual people working in this area.
I went to Sion Hospital, Hamasafar Trust and TISS. I talked with the counsellors there. I asked them questions to understand the awareness among people, their reactions to this issue, social acceptance of patients, medical treatments. I myself got my test done to experience the process. I talked with Mr. Kadam from NMP+, Pune who himself is a HIV positive. Apart from that I observed many patients in the Sion Hospital. I decided to not getting involved at the root level. In such issues it is very easy to just carried away by your emotions. Then you can not think in broader perspective.
After these meetings I finally started with writing the narration for my film.

According to UNAIDS estimates, by December-2003, nearly 34-46 million people including over 2.5 million children - had been infected with HIV since the start of the epidemic.
Number of people living with HIV/AIDS Total 40 million (34 – 46 million)
Adults 37 million (31 – 43 million)
Children under 15 years 2.5 million (2.1 – 2.9 million)
People newly infected with HIV in 2003 Total 5 million (4.2 – 5.8 million)
4.2 million (3.6 – 4.8 million)
Children under 15 years 700 000 (590 000 – 810 000)
AIDS deaths in 2003 Total 3 million (2.5 – 3.5 million)
Adults 2.5 million (2.1 – 2.9 million)
Children under 15 years 500 000 (420 000 – 580 000)

Science has provided us with answers to these myths. HIV is not transmitted through casual contact. A person cannot get HIV by sharing food with an infected person or hugging an infected person. An insect bite will not transmit HIV.
The highest increases in new HIV infections are in black men, women, heterosexuals, and teens. HIV is not limited to gays or drug users. It does not discriminate as to age, sex, race, or sexual orientation. Most of the new cases of HIV and AIDS are due to sexual contact between a man and woman. It is important to realize that people can be infected with HIV and not even know they are infected.
The spreading of HIV is completely preventable, if we all take personal responsibility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home